An era of cleaner energy
We have come a long way since the discovery of substantial gas reserves in Sarawak's Central Luconia basin in the 1960s. Starting off as a subsidiary of PETRONAS, we have since progressed to become one of Malaysia's largest and most ambitious industrial undertakings ever.
With rising global demand for a more cost-effective and cleaner source of energy, liquefied natural gas (LNG) became one of the most sought-after sources of fuel. Today, the export of LNG continues to bring in significant revenue; contributing substantially to Malaysia's social economic development. As the operator of one of the world's largest LNG production facilities in a single location, our workforce is now equipped with accumulated expertise in every aspect of the industry – from plant construction, commissioning and operations to marketing and logistics.
Our journey began on 14 June 1978, when PETRONAS, Shell BV and Mitsubishi secured a partnership agreement to undertake Malaysia's first LNG project. This momentous collaboration led to the birth of Malaysia LNG Sdn. Bhd. (MLNG). We were involved in every aspect of the project in Bintulu – from the plant, jetty and infrastructure construction to the acquisition of LNG carriers and training of human resource.
The nation's first liquefaction plant in Bintulu was completed on 7 August 1982. Later on, we achieved another milestone when our first cargo departed on 29 January 1983 on board the LNG carrier, Tenaga Satu, heading for the Japanese market.
With escalating worldwide demand for LNG, we established our second and third joint-venture companies – Malaysia LNG Dua Sdn. Bhd. (MLNG Dua) in 1992 and Malaysia LNG Tiga Sdn. Bhd. (MLNG Tiga) in 1995. We continue to scale new heights of achievement, with the construction of Train 9 in the near future.
Providing only the finest LNG liquefaction, export and delivery services to our customers has always been our top priority. These momentous achievements are a testament of our commitment as a world-class producer of LNG.
- Since MLNG's first shipment on 29 January 1983, we have always maintained a 100% success delivery rate to our customers.
- We have established a reputation as one of the most preferred and reliable LNG suppliers in the world.
- Through MLNG, Malaysia is now the world's second largest LNG exporter.
- With one of the best-managed and operated LNG plants in the world, we provide world-class LNG liquefaction facilities.
- We boost a flawless record in the timely and safe delivery of high quantity LNG production. (MLNG achieved the highest LNG production volume in 2010/11 with more than 400 BCe (big cargo equivalent) of loadable LNG. In 2011 (April-Dec), we broke our production record once more by achieving 306BCe in 9 months.)
- The MLNG plant has grown steadily over the years with regular expansion programmes. Our latest venture, the Train 9 Project, will be operational by 2016.
Feel free to check out the rest of our milestones throughout the years.